"Not Made In Canada" Myth
Fiction: 90% of plastic shopping bags used in grocery stores in Canada are manufactured in China.
Fact: 90% of the plastic “grocery bags” used by large retailers are made in this country, not overseas in China.
- While it is true that most of the textile industry has migrated to Asia; that is not the case for plastics manufacturing. Ontario is the third largest hub for advanced plastic manufacturing in North America, along with the states of Ohio and California.
- 90% of the plastic shopping bags used by major grocers in this country are produced in Canada and many right here in Ontario. They are not made in China.
- In the United States, the industry reports that 72.5% of plastic shopping bags are made in the U.S. and not off-shore.
- In fact, Ontario has many of Canada’s plastic bag manufacturers – many of which are family-run businesses. These companies employ thousands.
- 50% of the businesses are located in the GTA, but the other 50% are located in smaller communities across the province like Orillia.
- Why is local production of bags important? It is important because it reduces the environmental impact – global warming potential. It reduces greenhouse gas transportation impacts. And Canadians can control the production process using green manufacturing techniques, not guaranteed in China.
- Employment in plastic bag and film manufacturing spans a value chain of machinists, engineers, resin companies, manufacturers, recyclers, and remanufacturers. As many as 10,000 Ontarians are employed in the sector. (Source: Industry Canada, Canadian Plastics Industry Association).